If you’re having trouble staying dry, even with absorbent products, adult plastic pants may be a product worth looking into.
With adult diaper covers, the options can seem endless: Vinyl plastic, PVC plastic, Euroflex, Natural Rubber, Latex, Polyurethane Laminate (PUL), Terry-lined… It can seem overwhelming at first!
To narrow things down, let’s start with the simple vinyl plastic cover. These are designed to be worn on top of an existing product, such as a disposable diaper, pad, or cloth diaper. They are waterproof and have a plastic feel, making them great for washing and reusing. Vinyl plastic comes in a variety of thicknesses, elastics, colors, and styles.
Do plastic pants stop leaks?
Adult plastic pants stop bladder leaks when worn on top of an existing product, they provide another layer of protection and additional peace of mind. If the diaper or pads you are wearing are successful at containing leaks, you are ready for a plastic cover.
How long do plastic pants last?
Vinyl plastic pants and diaper covers are reusable for many months, sometimes even years. Following the proper care instructions can extend the life of your plastic pants.
What are the pros and cons of Adult Plastic Pants?
- They can protect your bedding and clothing from leaks. The waterproof plastic pants are washable, saving you many cycles of drying out the clothes or sheets that could be damaged by urine soaked through to the fabric. Your mattress will thank you!
- Life doesn’t stop for leaks. Adult plastic pants can provide a little extra peace of mind, so you know you are covered. Whether it be an adventure in the great outdoors or just around town, these waterproof garments can take anything that life throws at them!
- Plastic pants are a great way to contain odors and can be effective at masking smells.
- Sometimes you may have pads or diapers that shift as you go about your day. Plastic pants make a great barrier to hold everything in place.
- Vinyl plastic is a less flexible fabric, with only the slightest bit of stretch.
- Vinyl plastic fabrics may retain heat and can be more uncomfortable in hot climates. (We suggest a breathable PUL fabric for hotter weather.)
- Vinyl plastic can have a crinkly or rustly sound, so not ideal for keeping things discreet.
What options are available?
Protex has a variety of options available for adult plastic pants, depending on your preferences. The primary differences are whether or not you want an enclosed waistband, snaps for easy on/off, and how high the waistband is. There are also options for overnight use with thicker material weight to ensure leaks are contained for extended periods of time, and plastic pants with longer legs (bloomer style). To learn more about the options and materials available, see https://www.myprotex.com/nafc for additional resources and articles to help!